May 17, 2011

The sky is gray, the sand is gray, and the ocean is gray.

Last night I sat by the ocean in the rain.

It was dark and the moon was out, but the clouds blanketed the sky so everything was illuminated in varying shades of gray.  My companion heard me say this and said "so many shades of gray".

He was right.  So many shades of gray.  There was depth and movement and life in all colors except color. And it was beautiful.

The saltwater tickled my hair and I thought back to my friend Graham's words.

"Mother Russia is vast."

The ocean is vast.  It is endless, even though maps tell us otherwise.  When you sit there at its shore, watching the heartbeat of the waves, it looks like it could go on forever.  And it does if you let it.  It makes you feel small but in such a good way.  Like none of your problems are as big as you make them out to be.  This is one of the reasons why I moved out here and why I advised my father to do so, too.  The ocean heals things.

The ocean is vast.
Photo Credit: Pete Brun

No comments:

Post a Comment