May 7, 2011

Eat your books and read your vegetables.


"We need to make books cool again.  If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them."  - John Waters

This.  Is the best advice I've heard in a long time.

You know, I've made it very clear to my nephews that I am their book aunt.  A book aunt is an aunt who only gives books.  She doesn't give video games, she doesn't give action figures.  She gives books and that is the only thing you'll get out of her.   So, it's best you know what you want to read about, or else you're getting books about WEIRD things, because that is what makes her laugh the most.

I sent my nephew about 5 books the other month with a card that told him this:  "Kieran.  Books are full of information.  Yes, some of it is boring, but there are books out there that have some really interesting ideas in them.  And you know who likes ideas?  Girls.  Girls like boys with lots of ideas.  You should read these books, get these ideas, and then I bet you the girls will be waiting in line."

I was told that he read every one of those books in a week's time.

Good boy.

1 comment: