June 6, 2011

Urban Exploration: Abandoned Camarillo State Hospital & "Scary Dairy"

Partnered with my friend and fellow explorer, I found myself in Camarillo, CA at the footsteps of the old abandoned Camarillo State Hospital.

Camarillo State Hospital

     As the story goes, this hospital was originally built in 1932, and at one time was considered to be one of the chief pioneers in developing new techniques for previously "untreatable" diagnoses (e.g., Schizophrenia, Autism, etc.). Unfortunately, as many a creepy mental hospital history goes, they were criticized for their mistreatment of patients (they stuffed them in by the droves), as well as their lack of concern for the safety of the local residents by taking in a large number of violent cases.  In 1997, it closed down, and after some deliberation of potentially turning it into a prison, they decided to make it a school instead.  Obvious decision, no?



     There are still a few buildings remaining of the old hospital, relatively untouched since the patients left.  I'm not a fan of breaking and entering (hello, I'm 26 - too old for a slap on the wrist, I think), and all of the doors were locked on both sides.  They'd thought of everything.  Looks like I'm going to have to go back with a story to get somebody to let me in.  I can't pass up this gem.

Fun fact: it is rumored that the Eagles wrote the song "Hotel California" in reference to the hospital.  Not an Eagles fan?  Well, it appears N*Sync filmed "I Drive Myself Crazy" on the grounds.  See?  History for everyone!








What the ward used to look like.

What the ward looks like now.


























The "Scary Dairy"


     So, no luck getting into the guts of the hospital this trip.  But, there was something just as spooky, and in an entirely different way.  The dairy farm, commonly referred to as the "Scary Dairy", is located just around the bend from the hospital.  Here, the patients did a sort of "work study" to help develop their interpersonal/professional skills and to bring in a little extra cash for the institution.




     It's covered in graffiti, which is not as terrible as I originally thought it to be.  It's actually kind of a neat reclamation of space.  The vibe is surprisingly not sour.  The graffiti itself is an amalgamation of the usual: pointless tags, beautiful art, rude blurbs, etc - but I really didn't find as many hateful slurs as one would expect.  It seems that whoever comes to the space uses it as a refuge, and you can tell that it is loved.  Loved in its own little juvenilely delinquent way, but loved, none-the-less.




























I'm a classy lady.
Partner in crime, Mr. Phil.










5 comments:

  1. Great pics.... I like the colourful graffiti. I met a guy at a party on NY's Eve who said he used to be a psychologist at Camarillo. Kinda scary? HaPppY HaPpPY New Year!!! ♥♫☮♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures of the 'Scary Dairy!' This place was infamous among my social group in high school. And It was used as a set in many scenes for the film "Bellflower" Great independent flick. http://www.bellflower-themovie.com/home/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pics and story. A friend and I just went through what's left of the original buildings. What a surreal day. We asked a campus police officer if it was OK to look around and take pictures. He said we could and we were off. Of course, that open door was an invitation that was too strong to resist and in we went! At 50, breaking and entering at a spooky old mental hospital is called adventure, and although I'm also too old for a slap on the wrist, we took our chances. Thankfully we asked permission and didn't see the no trespassing signs until we came out (honest). We did have one ace up our sleeves though. My grandmother was one of the first patients at Camarillo and I figured that was a pretty good excuse for wanting to get a closer look. Thankfully, we didn't have to use it. We tried to find the Scary Dairy, but we had. I clue where it was, or how to find it, if it's even still standing? Next adventure!

    ReplyDelete